Friday, September 11, 2015

Tech Fast: First Impressions

Julie- I'm feeling guilty because I'm not home experiencing our experiment.  I am staying at places with internet.  Do I use it? Is that fair?  My compromise- set limits.  I'm on this morning to check email and blog and going to try staying off the rest of the day.

My mom-  I was surprised by her reaction.  She sounded ( via email) mad.  "I'm ticked."  ( that sounds mad doesn't it)  Her perspective: email is how she communicates...will she be cut off from us?

I've emailed to explain that we are an easy 10 minute walk from our awesome public library that has free internet access from 9-9 weekdays and 9-5 Saturday.

My sister-  Sent a link to Camp Grounded...a summer camp experience that is tech free for adults.  It looks fun. You can check it out here  http://campgrounded.org/about

Mark:  When I checked in with Mark this morning (via email) here is what he said

"It has been going well.  We just hung in the kitchen chatting last night.  I like it much better than being in our separate rooms looking into light boxes.
 
Really it has been going well.  Nate and I are making dinner tonight.  Hamburgers on the grill.  Wouldn’t happen if we had the modem on.
 
Being bored is a lost art."

Logistical note: There has been a change in the "rules"  Two weeks sounded too long...we are going to try one week 4 times a year.

I don't have the boys' perspective.  They are not big email users when they do have access to internet...so I'm going to wait until I am back home to interview them.

Stay tuned...more to come


1 comment:

Ginny Stiles said...

I am making a tee shirt for Mark saying "I love being bored with my kids".
Mine will say "Sometimes there is humor in deprivation".
Nate and Ben's will say "We walk up hill to school. Both ways."
Yours will say "I live at Camp Grounded"

One week 4 times a year. I can live with this I suppose.
I love you. Mom
ps I am NOT mad…just deprived.