Thursday, January 15, 2009

Paper Please

I shopped at Woodman's...an employee owned grocery store in Madison. I was really focused on not buying things in plastic. I found juice in glass jars, tins and cans. And frozen veggies in cardboard boxes. They don't have a bulk section but most of the veggies are in big boxes and you pick out what you need ( no plastic bags!)

I brought canvas bags but ran out so asked for paper. I didn't watch closely enough. I ended up with two plastic bags ( for apples and soap.) In the future, I will make a stronger statement. "I'm trying very hard to not use plastic at all..so no plastic bags please."

1 comment:

Ginny Stiles said...

Yes...I always use my canvas bags BUT they want to put meat and frozen in plastic. SO I bought ONE thermal bag. I know, it's plastic but I intend to use it for years and years! Meat, frozen things, can go in there.
When you pick up a pound of green beans. What do you put them in? They have to weigh it at the register. I have almost a dozen canvas bags now...so I rarely run out.
I take them into Walgreens and Walmart if I have to shop there...we are not Walmart fans. Also Office Depot, etc. You just need to get in the habit.